Monday, January 21, 2008

Shepherd's Pie


Last night for dinner I made my own version of a shepherd's pie. I fried about 1/4 of a lb. of bacon and set it aside to drain on paper towels. I poured off some of the fat and to the rest I cooked a few tablespoons of flour, then added beef stock (in a carton), canned mushrooms, a little Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Then I added some leftover deli beef torn into bite size pieces.

Meanwhile, I boiled 4-5 potatoes in salted water. When soft, I drained them and mashed them with butter, milk and a little sour cream.

I sprayed a casserole dish with Pam and added the meat/gravy mixture. I spread the mashed potatoes over the top and sprinkled with the bacon and paprika.

Then, I just put it under the broiler until lightly browned. Pretty tasty and we have enough for 1-2 more meals.

Picture courtesy of Rachel Ray

12 comments:

Meggie said...

Looks yummy, I'll be right over for a piece.

Janet said...

You can tell that it is cold everywhere today. Everyone has soup and comfort food recipes.

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Nan,
Oh my gosh, that Shephard's Pie looks so good. The recipe sounds easy as well. Reckon you could add some other kind of meat than what you added? I may have to make this sometimes. I'll be over tonight to help you eat the rest of it. LOL. We didn't get the freezing rain that they first thought we might. Dadgumit, I was so wanting something, even if it was freezing rain. LOL. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours. "THANK YOU" for sharing your version of the Shephard's Pie.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll be over for leftovers tonite! Sounds wonderful. Christy:-) <><

bj said...

YUMMMMM - MEEEEEE ! I will have to give that a try...sounds delicious and looks fabulous!
hugs, bj

Anonymous said...

I've never cared for any of the shepherds pie recipes I've tried in the past but this one sounds wonderful! I think I'll try it out...hey, it could be included in tomorrow's Pie Day...just link this post and another if you want!!

Dena said...

Oh that looks good and I am so in need of comfort foods. The rain kind of demands such things!

Hugs,
Dena

Unknown said...

Such a lovely blog. Thanks for that recipe, my shepherds pie always turns out so bland. This idea with the bacon sounds wonderful. Thanks, Karen

Unknown said...

Ooooh, delicious! Might have to try that recipe! Come on over when you get a chance, I've tagged you for a game!

Jen :)

BittersweetPunkin said...

My family loves Shepards Pie...that looks yummy!

Terri Steffes said...

Don't you love it when something you makes ROCKS!! This looks awesome and delicious.

Love Bears All Things said...

That sounds so good and I loved listening to the theme to the Titanic.
Mama Bear